Aspen Hill Christian Church is a congregation within the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination. Our compelling mission is to be a bold and energetic church where people will experience, cultivate, and share the love of God.
What happens on Sunday morning?
- Each Sunday morning you’ll find a diverse group of friendly people gathering for a combination of worship, fellowship, and study.
- For many, the morning begins around 9:30 am in our Fellowship Hall with coffee and light refreshments.
- At 9:45 am, our Sunday School assembly begins where children and adults gather to sing, celebrate, and have a discussion with our puppets about some pretty in-depth spiritual topics.
- We mentioned the children but where are the teenagers? Well you might have to wait until the puppets have finished their discussions before you see the teens.
- Next join us for Sunday School classes for all ages, including 2 adult classes.
- Following Sunday School everyone gathers in the sanctuary for our 11 am worship service.
- If you prefer, you are welcome to arrive around this time for the worship service. Just come in the front door and you’ll see the sanctuary to your left.
- Following the service, there is always a time of Fellowship where we share light refreshments and coffee and juice. Just head to the Fellowship Hall (which is to your left after you come out of the sanctuary) and join our members and friends in a casual setting.
- Often there are other events after the service, such as groups working on service projects or fellowship lunches.
What is our Worship Service like?
- The service begins with hymns, a Call To Worship, and an invocation, followed by a time for informal sharing and prayer requests. Other highlights of the service include scripture readings, the choir anthem and collection of the offering.
- Like other Disciples of Christ churches, we have communion every Sunday. All those who believe in Jesus Christ are welcome to participate.
- The Word is shared each Sunday in the form of a sermon by our minister. These messages offer wonderful life lessons based on Biblical scriptures, life examples, and engaging stories.
- The style is informal, and the congregation is very engaged.
- There is a great deal of flexibility in the service, and there are often special events during our regular Sunday services such as stories for the children, sing-alongs, baptisms, and baby dedications.
- We also have a number of services dedicated to specific areas. Of course this includes Easter and Christmas, but we also celebrate Mother’s Day and Father’s Day and each fall we have an “All Saints Sunday” to remember loved ones who passed away during the past year.
What Should I Wear?
- Wondering how people dress for worship here? It ranges from casual to traditional. No dress codes! Just a common interest in worshipping God and serving the community.
We would love for you to join us to share in worship and service to the Lord. Come this Sunday!
- We can’t promise you will love our service but we can promise you will be welcomed to a warm, bible centered, worship service that is uplifting and centered on the love and joy of being a part of the people of God.
- We like to say “not the only Christians but Christians only”.
Here is some additional background information to help you understand our congregation.
The keys to our vision are …
- Our people – Our people are dedicated, talented, diverse, creative and energetic.
- Our leaders – We have a talented and gifted ministry, both lay and clergy.
- Our size – We are a middle-sized congregation committed to continued growth. We are large enough to provide a variety of quality programs and resources and yet small enough to provide personal care and attention to everyone.
The arena for our ministry includes …
- Our church – Our church is a racially, socially, and theologically diverse community of faith. We are all called as people who need our hurts healed and our hopes reaffirmed.
- Our neighborhood – Our neighborhood is a changing, growing, multi-cultural, exciting place to live and work. We see our neighborhood as a dynamic place filled with opportunity to minister in the name and spirit of Jesus Christ.
- Our world – Ministry begins in our community and extends into all the world.
The Role of Aspen Hill Christian Church is to . . .
- Proclaim the Christian faith to a people who are hungry and in need of the Gospel.
- Teach the great traditions and theology of a faithful church.
- Provide care and support for people who share the needs of God’s children.
- Create and enhance Christian community in a society in which true community is often neglected.
- Provide a spiritual home where people may grow in the spirit of Jesus Christ.